Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Somewhere over the Pacific


After weeks of packing, unpacking, and packing again – only to find that my luggage was 10lbs overweight – and then repacking again, I finally made it to Norfolk International Airport at 6:30am. I woke up at 5am with little to no sleep, took a shower, deliberated on what to pack for carry-on, and then finally said bye to my family. My mother and father waited with me in the airport for about an hour – of which they proceeded to scare me sh*tless right before I was supposed to board for Detroit. According to my parents, Hong Kong is a dangerous city in which people will inject you with AIDS (!) for no reason. Oh, and let’s not forget about the drugs that will be slipped into your bag if you’re not careful. And drugs overseas = life in prison. What nice food for thought before sending me to such a place! I know their intent though – just be alert and don’t think all Chinese people are nice.

Right now I’m actually sitting in the middle seat (I wish I had window!) of my plane on the way to Tokyo, Japan. 16 hours of fun. There are so many Asians on this plane – most of which have proceeded to talk to me in Mandarin, of which I don’t understand. I usually just smile and nod. They’re showing the Simpsons Movie – which I can’t understand because it’s in Japanese. It’s quite amusing to hear Homer Simpson speak Japanese in a somewhat high-pitched voice that could easily be mistaken for a female. Dinner on the plane was great actually – beef w/ rice (since we’re going to Japan!), bread, salad, and fruit. It was served in a makeshift bento box (so adorable). I wish I had taken a picture of it but laziness won – that, and it was my first meal in 9 hours so I was famished.

Only 8 more hours of flying!!

Oh, and HAPPY NEW YEAR! (I think I slept through the countdown – the flight attendants aren’t wearing their festive hats anymore). And I never got the complementary champagne I was hoping for…well…not really :-)


No comments: