Monday, April 7, 2008

The world as it is.

It's quite sad that everything that happens in the world can be tied to political advancement.  The Olympics is a sporting event, where athletes can represent their own nationality with pride.  But, as always, human nature has turned it into a political issue.  The Olympics have been stripped away of the very essence of sportsmanship and national pride - it is now, and perhaps has always been, a mere tool and scapegoat for international pressure.

I'm really just procrastinating.  I actually do have tons to do. Honestly.  On Wednesday, I have a Genetics Presentation on DNA Sequencing.  We get marked (ie: graded) by graduate and post-graduate researchers who work/do research at CU.  It can be quite nerve-racking since we are expected to know the ins and outs of our topic, and be able to present it professionally and at a graduate level.  This class is supposed to be a Freshman class...yet, we are supposed to be able to present graduate level work?  Doesn't make sense to me.  But I feel that I have an advantage in that I am fluent in English, whereas the local students in my class are not as fluent (or so they say, but in all actuality, they are quite fluent in English!).  

I asked my group today if they ever taught the sciences in Cantonese. I find it hard to translate "insulin" into Cantonese! But actually, they do have classes in Cantonese but it is only in Hong Kong that English is used to teach the sciences (or humanities too).  Only if you are learning Chinese medicine, or Chinese history, then professors would teach in Cantonese.  But if you were in mainland China, everything is taught in Chinese - which is probably why it's so hard for mainland students to study here in Hong Kong.  I asked Step if she could translate "Citric acid" in Cantonese....she said she doesn't even know it.   She did tell me what "DNA" was in Cantonese...but I already forgot it.  It's definitely longer than saying 'deoxyribonucleic acid.' That I know for sure!

I'd thought I would gaaisiuh (introduce) my Cantonese Romanization...which is quite difficult. See if you can fáanyìhk (translate) ^^



Ngóh jìhnghaih yáuh yāt yuht géi hái Hēunggóng jē!  Ngóh séung làuhdāi haih Hēunggóng yānwaih Ngóh gokdāk Hēunggóng hóu wáan.  Hái Hēunggóng, ngóh sùhkjó hóudóu sān Hēunggóng pàhngyáuh, tùhngmaih kéuihdeih hóu siu.  Ngóh mjīdou yùhgwó ngóh jáuh gójahnsìh wúih haam, bātgwo ngóh yātdihng wúih hóu sāmsēung!!!


:-)

1 comment:

fatcat328 said...

mmm...and i thought pinyin was crazy...i figured it out though, despite me not speaking cantonese for weeks on end. ha. i'm sorry to hear but on the upside you did get to meet a lot of ppl and your cantonese is progressing very nicely. fei chang hao! (threw some pinyin in there...)