Sunday, March 23, 2008

Greetings from KL!

Hostel internet is quite slow...but I am attempting to update nonetheless. Greetings from Kuala Lumpur! In the short time that I have been here (I only arrived just this afternoon), I have noticed quite a lot of things about KL. Here are 10:

  1. KL is a Muslim population with 80% of Indian ancestry...but the ethnic Chinese hold control 80% of the economy!
  2. Toilets are quite filthy, with bidets on the side and no toilet paper or soap (just water)
  3. Malays do not use knives, only fork and spoon. But most eat with their hands
  4. KL is quite small - and their trains run very slow and come less frequently
  5. Malays treat tourists nicer than Hong Kongers
  6. Even though the population is supposed to know English, the ones I have spoken to speak very little English.
  7. Malay language is quite easy to pick up, or at least recognize the meaning of words
  8. Everything you eat is spicy
  9. The Chinatown in KL is very dirty - but big nonetheless
  10. It rains here...a lot. Tropical weather :-) And when it rains, it pours and streets flood (kinda like Richmond......) --> umbrellas are worthless
Ok..that's all for now. I am quite tired. me = bedtime

No comments: